Origin-destination surveys are conducted to enhance knowledge of the demand for passenger transportation. Such studies, coupled with spatial data, have a significant analytical potential that should be exploited for transportation planning. These types of analyses, when conducted using an efficient and easy-to-use application, provide essential information to clients.
Map4Decision offers functionalities that are specific to origin-destination studies. Among other things, it supports the dynamic creation of flow maps. The user can easily create a map of destinations for a given origin, or vice-versa. Also, the user can click directly on these flows on the map to obtain the corresponding sub-region flows, and thus access a detailed level of information.
The application, based on Map4Decision, offers answers to questions such as:
- What is the number of trips from the Quebec urban area to downtown, for employment purposes?
- What are the most popular transportation modes used to go downtown, for leisure activities?
- What is the variation in the number of trips during peak periods (morning and afternoon), for each destination.
Map4Decision provides functionalities to easily explore different levels of detail and support aggregate analyses such as:
- A comparison of the number of trips by origin and by destination (i.e. create an origin-destination matrix).
- A comparison of the number of trips by motive, for each city.